The first museum collection in Shumen was displayed in the Man’s High-school in 1857 by Sava Dobroplodni a teacher and public figure from the period of the Bulgarian National Revival. It consisted of archaeological finds he and his students discovered in the ruins of the old capital Preslav.
Today the museum is a cultural and scientific institute, with nine departments and a scientific research group. It preserves more than 150 000 records of the past from the chalcolithic period up to the present days, 15 000 of which are displayed in the eight exhibition halls.
Temporary exhibitions are also organized. The museum Музеят има и собствено издание – The Proceedings of the Museum of History – Shumen, a library with more than 25 000 scientific volumes and periodicals, restoration and conservation studios and a photo-laboratory. It conducts researches on the territory of the Shumen region.
In 2016 in the private palace of Preslav’s rulers dynasty from the 9th – 10th century a remarkable work of the Byzantine art has been unearthed. It is a gold heart-shaped... [+]
The Treasure Islands exhibition is displayed in the Marble Foyer of the Regional Museum of History – Shumen till March, 30th. [+]
Day after Day, Month after Month is the exhibition, presenting the collection of calendars from the middle of the 20th century to the present day. It is exhibited on the second... [+]